House of culture
Abdel Khaleq al-Noueiji
(also known as Old British Consulate)
The House of Culture is located in Al-Akwash St., behind the Arch of Marcus Aurelius. It was built in 1744 during the rule of Ahmad Pacha Al-Karamanli as the latter’s residence. It was subsequently used as residence of the English Consul until 1940. The Organization and Administration Project of the Old City started the rehabilitation and maintenance of the building in January 1987. Renovation works were completed in 1993 when it re-opened as cultural centre dedicated to Abdel Khaleq al-Noueiji.